06 June 2012

Espana!

Seeing as I was in Europe, my sister came to meet me and tour Spain when my semester ended. We did a tour of Malaga, Seville, Cordoba, Granada, and a few other smaller towns along the way. The main purpose was to explore the Moorish influence on Spanish architecture, something I knew very little about before. The tile works and stucco plasterwork was incredible! I had never seen anything with quite as ornate details as the palace interiors.

Malaga:
 Zahara:
 Seville:
 Real Alacazar, Seville:
 Cordoba:

While in Cordoba, it happened to be the Fairea de Mayo, a huge celebration of Flamenco. Basically, there are rows and rows of tents, each with their own bar and music. We danced the night away and by the end, I think I almost had the hang of some Flamenco moves!
 Tenting tonight- in the middle of an olive field!:

 Granada:
 Alhambra, Granada:


Fun fact: The Spanish word “Granada” means pomegranate. It is also the origin of the word “grenade” because a pomegranate smashed against the ground will splatter the staining seeds in every direction. According to Jewish legend, Eve was tempted to eat a pomegranate in the Garden of Eden. The city of Granada uses the symbol of the pomegranate on their street posts and other governmental hardware throughout the city.

I couldn’t get The Clash unstuck from my head the whole time:



No comments:

Post a Comment