10 March 2012

Czech: David Cerny

Our class had the opportunity to meet a contemporary sculptor, David Cerny, whose works are displayed throughout Prague. If I had to describe him in four words, I would say vulgar, scattered, controversial, and absolutely brilliant. But his art speaks for itself:
Cerny's portrayal of King Wenceslas


A rotating skull that got rejected from the mall for which he designed it. It now resides atop a modern art museum.

Cerny has a collection of these identical babies, 10 of which climb the TV tower:


Finally, the men who pee philosophic quotes into a Czech shaped fountain.

I could tell you how these sculptures have been related to anti-communism and nationalism, but the truth is, Cerny never tells the true intention of his boundary pushing works, so I guess I'll leave it open for interpretation... But I will warn you, whatever you say it is, there is a good chance Cerny will say it is the opposite.

No comments:

Post a Comment